Lewes Archaeological Group

Lewes Archaeological Group text

About the Lewes Archaeological Group

Lewes Archaeological Group was founded in 1968 to investigate prehistoric and historic remains in the town of Lewes and the surrounding district. Although the Group does not currently run any excavations, it has each year a full programme of talks [Lecture Programme]. It also has occasional tours and walks. Members – often in cooperation with other societies and organisations – are involved in excavations and other projects such as field walking, surveying and watching briefs. Details of opportunities are included in the Groups twice yearly newsletter [Newsletter] and also in the events page [What's on]. The Group’s lecture programme and occasional site visits and walks bring together those interested in archaeology and history from across the area. – Lewes is rich in archaeology going back to the bronze age. [Archaeology of Lewes]
Everyone is welcome to attend LAG's talks, but membership [Membership] gives a reduced entrance charge. Members also receive the newsletter and receive invitation by e-mail to special activities, such as walks or tours.

Click here for the current Newsletter

Constitution and Rules

For further information, please contact Paula Stanyer by email at paulawodcohen (at) yahoo.co.uk.

Paula Stanyer, Chair email

LAG visit to Plumpton Roman Villa
LAG visit to Plumpton Roman Villa.


Fri 20 April Mud Glorious Mud: the Bridge Farm 2017 Excavation Update.
The directors of the Culver Archaeological Project Rob Wallace and David Millum will return to give their annual update on the results of the continuing excavations of this important Romano-British settlement site located in the Ouse Valley just north of Lewes at Bridge Farm, Barcombe. Enormous progress has been made in exploring and interpreting the site notwithstanding that it rained a lot and very frequently. 2017 was not a year for the faint hearted although webbed feet might have been in order!
Click here for the full 2017-2018 programme.


St John Sub Castro, Lewes

Also over the summer work was drainage undertaken at St John’s Sub Castro Church in Lewes. Archaeology South East were engaged on the archaeological front and funded as a Heritage Lottery Funded project. It had been hoped that the foundations of the original walls of the medieval church might have been located, but they would appear to have been removed in 1839 when the church was demolished. Similarly, it would appear that the pre-1779 floor (some 1200mm below present ground level) was also removed. Fortunately the route for the drainage along the path was well chosen in that relatively few human remains were encountered. However there were nevertheless some quite interesting discoveries including some medieval floor tiles. Probably the most interesting discovery was a small fragment of statuary with traces of blue and gold paint - the latter looking as fresh as if it had been painted yesterday!

Looking ahead, the church has funding for a further one week of archaeological excavation if this is felt justified There are some reflectances on the GPR survey which probably merit further investigation, and Richard Gilbert's 1974 and earlier researches suggests some intriguing possibilities which could be looked at. At the very least it is hoped to mark out the outline of the ancient church on the ground so that one can have a visual impression of where it was. There is a dimensioned drawing of the Nave prepared by William Figg in 1816, which can be related to the currently visible remains in the Chancel area. If the project is carried forward in the Spring then it would be helpful to know if any LAG members would like to be involved. If so, please contact me at paulawodcohen@yahoo.co.uk.

The Sun Street Story

A Lewes History Group Publication

The result of two years’ research by a team of LHG Street Stories’ members, the book tells the story of one of the lesser known, yet more interesting streets in central Lewes, with its varied architecture styles. The beginnings of the road as we know it today, the construction of the 19th century houses and tales of past and present residents, are all illustrated with maps, photos and drawings. Order the book online at https://leweshistory.org.uk/sun-street-book/ for £8.50 plus p&p. It can also be bought at the Lewes History Group’s monthly meetings (see the website for details).